Monday 17 October 2016

Rae reads... Heath, Cliffs & Wandering Hearts by Laura Barnard

About the book:


Life for sixteen year old Savannah Franks has just been turned upside down. Her Mum’s business has failed and they’re forced to move into a maisonette in the rough end of town. 

She doesn’t want anyone to know her dire situation, not even her besties. So when the rest of the money for the school ski trip is due she can’t be seen not to attend. Everyone is going! She just needs to find a job. Add that to the list of getting a boyfriend and losing her pathetic virginity. 

But working every spare hour in a job she hates on top of school work and mounting secrets doesn’t prove easy. Soon she’s keeping so many she’s not even sure herself what’s true and what’s not. 

The only person she can lean on to tell the truth is her best friend Heath. 


Only…did he get hot recently? That won’t make things awkward between them…right?

Buy links:

Book Depository

--------------------------------

My Review:

When I saw Heath, Cliffs & Wandering Hearts by Laura Barnard I couldn’t wait to start it. I did notice that it was a YA story which to be honest I haven't read too many of. However I enjoyed The Debt & the Doormat so I was pretty sure I would enjoy this. So what did I think...

The first chapter introduces Savannah brilliantly and I couldn't help but laugh as the chapter ended. Savannah is a typical teenager and even though I'm (whispers) 32 years old. I can just about remember being a teenager and I found Sav and her friends escapades so much fun!

I thought Savannah's family was a great addition to the story especially her unconventional gran. All of her friends are written well and they are such a fun group of friends who were there for each other. 

The friendship that Heath and Savannah share is lovely. The question is are they just friends or could they be more?

I was pretty much either smiling or giggling to myself throughout this book. There are so many comical moments, this book was great at cheering me up.

The story kept a really good pace and there were times when I didn't want to put it down. The blog posts by Savannah's brother were a nice touch and kept things light. 


Overall:

The theme of friendship, love and all the angst of being a teenager is portrayed brilliantly. I wish I could have carried on reading about Savannah, her friends and family. 

Heath, Cliffs & Wandering Hearts is full of charm, fun and laughs. 

Five stars from me!

Thank you to Laura Barnard for kindly sending me a copy. This is my honest and unbiased opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment