Thursday 15 December 2016

Review - Lizzie's Christmas Escape by Christie Barlow


About the book:

A gorgeous country house hotel, a liberal dusting of snow, a cosy weekend away…what more could Lizzie ask for at Christmas? 



Every Christmas Lizzie promises herself that things will change and she will leap into the new year a new woman. And yet here she is again, at the beginning of December and nothing is different. Her girls have grown up and left home, her husband Henry is slumped in front of the TV and she is alone in the kitchen, seeking refuge in the cooking sherry and talking to her Gary Barlow calendar. She’s also been very diverted by handsome new neighbour Marcus and she knows she shouldn’t be … 

So when best friend Ann suggests a weekend away in the country, Lizzie jumps at the chance. Will this Christmas escape give Lizzie some much needed perspective and allow her to mend her marriage? Or will Marcus prove to be too much of a distraction? 


Buy here


My Review 

As soon as I saw Lizzie's Christmas Escape by Christie Barlow I had to read it. I had read Kitty's Countryside Dream earlier this year and I loved how Christie Barlow created such an entertaining and engaging story. 

So what did I think... 

Lizzie is an interesting character that Christie Barlow manages to bring to life brilliantly. I loved the fact that I didn't agree with everything she did but Lizzie still manages to remain likeable. I was definitely rooting for a happy ending for her. Ann was a great addition to the story and I loved the friendship that she shares with Lizzie. They have plenty of fun times and also heart felt moments throughout the book. 

The plot moves at a good pace with a great set of characters that I got attached to. It was lovely to see the characters grow and develop throughout the story. I think everyone can relate to feeling stuck in a rut at some point in their lives. This book captures this perfectly and shows us that sometimes things have to happen to put things into perspective. There were occasions when I was surprised whilst reading as things happened that I just didn't see coming. 

I definitely had to smile when I read the part about trying for another baby quite quickly due to the first being such a bad sleeper. This was just like what me and my husband decided to do. Why not get the sleep deprivation out of the way sooner rather than later! 

This book is perfect to curl up with so grab a hot chocolate and get cosy!

Overall 

Lizzie's Christmas Escape is an entertaining, heartwarming and at times emotional story that held my attention all the way through! 

Five stars from me! 

Thank you to Bookouture & Netgalley for my copy. This is my honest and unbiased opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment