Sunday 27 March 2016

Rae reads... A Summer at Sea by Katie Fforde

A Summer at Sea By Katie Fforde

Emily has a great life, she is a midwife and is perfectly happy with how things are. Although when a friend gets in touch and asks for help she decides to take a risk and spend a summer at sea. Working as a cook onboard their Puffer boat. Will life be the same for Emily after her summer away?



I have read quite a few of Katie Ffordes books and always found them enjoyable however I did find this book a little bit more difficult to get into. I normally find myself engrossed in the plot and characters almost from the very first chapter. I would have to say that the main reason was that it took me a while to take a liking to Emily. With Emily being the main character this obviously caused a problem. I think the reason I didn’t instantly like Emily was due to her views on midwifery. I am all for the mother having a choice about where she gives birth. It just seemed a little bit too pro home birth for me which just slightly impacted on my enjoyment of the book at the beginning.


However by the half way point my opinion had changed and I found myself actually liking Emily. In a way Summer By the Sea was made more interesting because I made a u turn regarding my feelings about the main character. I did however love the friendship between little Kate and Emily. I really liked their interactions they were both sweet and fun.

I found the attention to detail spot on especially when Emily first arrived on board the Puffer vessel. I really could imagine myself being there in person in all the confined spaces. It was a lovely story and Katie Fforde set the scene really well. I will continue to read her books & I am sure that my slight disappointment with the beginning is just a blip.

Overall it could have been a slightly better but if you are in the mood for a light & easy to read book then definitely give it a go, especially if you are already a fan.

3.5 stars from me


Thank you to Random House UK, Cornerstone & Netgalley for my copy to read & review.

No comments:

Post a Comment