Thursday 14 July 2016

Rae reads... The Stepmother by Claire Seeber

About the book:

The perfect wife. A fairytale family. Don’t believe your eyes…

Jeanie and Matthew are a happily married couple who both have teenage children from previous relationships.


No one said it would be easy to raise a blended family under one roof but Jeanie and Matthew are strong. They will make it work.


And whilst Jeanie’s step-daughter Scarlett rejects her, Jeanie will just have to try harder to win her over.


But Jeanie has a past. A terrible secret she thought she’d buried a long time ago. And now, it’s coming to the surface, threatening to destroy her new marriage.


Someone is playing a terrifying game on Jeanie and she must put a stop to it once and for all.


After all, a fairytale needs a happy ending … doesn’t it?


My thoughts:

The book cover caught my attention straight away and once I had read the book description I knew I had to read it.

I really enjoyed how bits of information regarding the characters was slowly and carefully revealed. Becoming a new member of a family would always be daunting but even more so for Jeanie. She clearly has secrets but then it soon becomes apparent that the other characters may also have things to hide. Every character made me suspicious and I kept trying to figure out what was happening. 

The Stepmother is well written and managed to keep the tension throughout. Once I started I found it very hard to put the book down as there was always something happening to keep my attention. I think it helped having short chapters as this was a great way of keeping things direct and to the point but also of bringing up more questions as to what actually happening. 

Overall

This book managed to keep me immersed in the story and I hated having to put it down. I wish I could have read it in one go, I couldn't wait to find out how it would all end! 

Five stars from me!

The Stepmother is full of tension, secrets and mystery!

Thank you to Bookouture & Netgalley for my copy to read and review. This is my honest opinion. 

Available to buy from Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment