Tuesday 16 August 2016

Rae reads... Rosa's Very Big Job by Ellen Mayer

About the book:

When spunky preschooler Rosa decided to help out her busy Mama, she enlists Grandpa’s help to put away the clean laundry. Can little Rosa get this big job done before Mama returns from shopping? Join Rosa and her grandpa on a laundry day romp around the house–where their adventures lead to still another surprise for Mama! 

Grandpa uses some big words as he plays with Rosa–difficult, enormous, terrific, and dangerous. He uses them in ways that are easy to understand. Preschoolers will revel in Rosa’s delightful adventure and will love learning big words just like Rosa does.




My thoughts:

Sitting down with my children and reading a book is one of my favourite parts of the day. My daughter is still a little bit too young to settle for long so we have to make do with picture books. However my son is three and he really enjoys looking at books with me and we always talk about what is happening. He loves to point things out and say what they are.

The illustrations are perfect for this they are colourful and eye catching so they definitely caught his attention.

The story wasn't overly long so it managed to keep my three year olds attention. My son likes to help me around the house so I knew this book would appeal to him. It was great to see larger words used but in a fun way so that children learn them but with no pressure. I liked the pretending side to the story as a family we are always playing at being in a boat, bus, or train etc. It's definitely a great way at boosting a childs imagination.


Overall:

I really enjoyed how the story showed Grandpa making the task of putting clothes away a fun exercise for children. The length of the story is not overly long, is straightforward and easy to follow.

Rosa's Very Big Job is a perfect story to introduce bigger words to little children!

Four stars from me!

Thank you to Star Bright Books & Netgalley for my copy in exchange for an unbiased and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment