Sunday 15 May 2016

Rae reads... Summer At the Comfort Food Cafe by Debbie Johnson


About the book:

Everyone thinks widowed mum-of-two Laura Walker has lost her mind when she decides to uproot her two teenaged children to Dorset for the summer.
However two years earlier Laura lost her husband and she knows that it’s time to move on. Will working at the Comfort Food Cafe help her to do this?

My thoughts:

I loved the letter at the start of the book it really set the scene, it explained what had happened to Laura's character. Due to the letter style it felt natural to read all about her life without it feeling like an information overload. I liked the premise for this story, new beginnings etc. I had been looking forward to reading this book for a while. There were some comical moments that made this book extra special. They helped lighten the mood and I don't think I will be able to sing The Grand Old Duke of York to my children without thinking of this book.

I instantly liked Laura, although there were moments of sadness she came across as a strong and resilient character after everything she had been through. Her two children were a great addition to the story along with her sister Becca who had some great one liners. The character of Cherie also adds a bit of quirkiness to the story. Matt and Laura have great chemistry, I liked all of their interactions. Especially when most of them involved Laura being involved in embarrassing situations. All of the characters bring a certain something special to the mix. I loved finding out along with Laura all about the customers lives.

Overall

I became immersed in the story straight away this was mainly down to the descriptive writing. It was just the right amount to set the scene. I really could imagine myself there especially when Laura first visits the Comfort Food Cafe. The characters are lovely and whilst reading I felt like a part of their world. At times I had tears in my eyes, OK the tears actually left my eyes and fell down my face! Even though there are sad parts they just combined to make this book more charming.

Summer At the Comfort Food Cafe truly is an engaging, entertaining and lovable book!

Five stars from me!

Thank you to HarperImpulse & Netgalley for my copy to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment